The Hessle Audio producer will provide the next instalment of Fabric’s long-running mix series.
As one third of the Hessle Audio triumvirate together with Ben UFO and Pearson Sound, Pangaea – otherwise known as Kevin McAuley – has been one of the most instrumental figures in shaping the landscape of contemporary UK dance music. His own productions in particular have remained steadfastly ahead of the curve, helping to usher in the shift from dubstep to techno in recent years, with 2011’s Hex single doing the jungle techno thing before (and arguably better than) most of this year’s crop of producers.
Although he has been part of the Hessle Audio project since day one, it could be argued that his profile hasn’t been quite as high as that of Ben UFO and Pearson Sound, with whom he regularly performs at Fabric as part of the label’s finely curated residency. Recent years have seen that quite rightly begin to change, thanks to a near faultless run of killer records for Hessle, Hemlock and his own Hadal imprint in the past few years, and news of his induction into the Fabriclive canon alongside previous contributions from his Hessle counterparts is very welcome indeed, as those who have heard his wide-ranging and impeccably sequenced mixes for FACT and Resident Advisor in recent years will attest.
Pangaea’s gravitation to straight techno in his DJ sets in recent times is reflected in the bulging 27 track mix. Avian boss Shifted, Forward Strategy Group, Psyk, Kobosil, Marco Shuttle and MGUN all contribute tracks which represent the darker, more driving subset of techno, while the likes of Hodge, Pearson Sound, Peverelist & Kowton and an unreleased track from Pangaea himself represent the best of the UK artists currently combining elements of bass and techno in their productions. Speaking of the mix to Fabric, McAuley said, “I’ve never been happier with where I am and where I’m going as an artist. A lot has changed musically in the past few years, and having felt adrift at times it now feels like all my musical experiences have led naturally to this place.”
Fabric will release Fabriclive 73 on CD and digital formats on January 20 with a launch party for the mix planned at the Farringdon venue on January 21. Pangaea will also be playing at Hessle Audio’s next takeover of Fabric on December 6 with Frak, Objekt, Blawan and more – full info on that here.
1. Pangaea – Recreational Slumming [unreleased]
2. Lee Gamble – Plos 97s [PAN]
3. Reeko – Momentum [Pole]
4. Hodge – Resolve [Punch Drunk]
5. Shifted – Untitled B2 [Avian]
6. Mystica Tribe – His Temple [Syncom Data]
7. Manni Dee – Romantic Self [Black Sun]
8. Tripeo – Untitled #5 [Tripeo]
9. MGUN – Blunt Run [Berceuse Heroique]
10. The Sun God – Maum [Bio Rhythm]
11. Stenny & Andrea – SEA (The Time Gate) [Ilian Tape]
12. Psyk – Arcade [Mote-Evolver]
13. Mumdance & MAO – Truth [Keysound]
14. Adam Jay – Refraction [Starkstrom Schallplatten]
15. Pearson Sound – Starburst [Hessle Audio]
16. Kobosil – Osmium [Underton]
17. Pev & Kowton – End Point [Livity Sound]
18. Forward Strategy Group – Clean Neckline [Perc Trax]
19. Speedy J – Something For Your Mind (Exposure Remix) [Plus 8]
20. Bleaching Agent – 37ml [Mira]
21. Truncate – Bodega V2 [Truncate]
22. Marco Shuttle – I Wanna Dance… In Outer Space [Eerie]
23. Drumcell – Disturbance (Pfirter Remix II) [CLR]
24. Imaginary Softwoods – Crystal Pond [Amethyst Sunset]
25. Alex Falk – PTR [Proper Trax]
26. Oscar Mulero – 46 (Antaganists Mix) [Warm Up]
27. Astronomical Telegram – Near-Heart Object (Stanislav Tolkachev Heavy and Unusual Remix [Reaktivate]