Stones Throw have invited long term artist J Rocc to dig through tracks from the two compilations the Los Angeles label has released in conjunction with Veronica Vasicka’s Minimal Wave imprint for two edit 12″s.
Das Ding, Hard Corps, Antonym and Ohama feature among eight tracks picked by the former Beat Junkie turntablist and presumably rearranged in a fashion more befitting of smooth mixing for the two 12″s quite cunningly titled The Minimal Wave Tapes – Edits Volumes 1 & 2.
As well as being an expertly curated presentation of the far reaching history of 80s synth based music, the Minimal Wave Tapes compilations have become a useful primer for what to expect from the Minimal Wave label. The most recent edition has been followed by full length reissues of material from artists featured such as Hard Corps and In Aeternam Vale, with the label also preparing a forthcoming selection of archival material from finely fringed German artist Felix Kubin.
Stones Throw will release Minimal Wave Tapes – Edits Volumes 1 by j Rocc on July 31, with the second volume to follow on August 21.
Volume 1 tracklisting:
1. Antonym – Cinnamon Air (J Rocc Edit)
2. Hard Corps – Dirty (J Rocc Edit)
3. Crash Course In Science – Flying Turns (J Rocc Edit)
4. Das Ding – H.T.S.A (J Rocc Edit)
Volume 2 tracklisting:
1. Felix Kubin – Japan Japan (J Rocc Edit)
2. Ohama – The Drum (J Rocc Edit)
3. Mark Lane – Who’s Really Listening (J Rocc Edit)
4. Deux – Game & Performance (J Rocc Edit)