News arrives of Four Tet’s much anticipated entrance into the Fabriclive canon, with the 59th edition a heady 27 track selection which fully represents the obsessive musical nature of the highly respected producer and DJ.
It’s perhaps the most musically interesting mix in the Fabric series in some time, placing forgotten 2-step tracks from Crazy Bald Heads next to extremely rare white label releases such as Persian’s “Feel The Vibe” and contemporary producers as diverse as Floating Points, Villalobos, Red Rack Em and Shed under his WK7 alias.
Long term Four Tet cohort Dan Snaith features under his now legally defunct Manitoba alias, as does recent collaborator Burial, and there are also several new Four Tet productions that were made especially for this mix. Hebden also includes a previously unreleased remix of the aforementioned Crazy Bald Heads track that fell victim to a record deal gone sour, with only broadcasting’s favourite close talker Gilles Peterson ever receiving an acetate.
Perhaps more interesting is the lengths that Hebden has gone to to create this mix, with the experience of seeking out rarer tracks forming an intrinsic part of this release. Meeting specialist record dealers, months of email exchanges with old friends and acquaintances, twittering, nights on discogs, dead ends and confusing leads. Clearance for Apple’s “Mr Bean” for example was only gained thanks to a series of email suggestions from Rinse FM’s Funk Butcher and Brackles.
Furthermore, Hebden requested his audio engineer buddy Sasha Lewis make a series of field recordings at Fabric which have been implemented amidst the 27 tracks and used to break up proceedings into different sections with the intent of creating the sensation of traversing the different room of the cavernous Farringdon venue.
The entire mix was pieced together on a computer but every track is still sourced and recorded from vinyl, crackles and all. Indeed Hebden even cut the Four Tet productions to acetate himself ahead of the mix being planned out. He has the following to say on what you should expect:
“This mix is not about my DJing. It’s about London and Fabric and nights out and my take on all that. The memories and the influences. I used old and new music, I used recordings of Fabric, and I made new tracks of my own for it. I hope people play it fucking loud and lose their minds in it and remember or imagine what it’s all about.”
Fabric will release Fabriclive 59 mixed by Four Tet on September 19.
2. Michel Redolfi – Immersion Partielle [INA-GRM]
3. Crazy Bald Heads – First Born [On-Tick]
4. Persian – Feel Da Vibe [Same People]
5. KH – 101112 [unreleased]
6. Youngstar (Musical Mob) – Pulse X [Inspired Sounds]
7. Crazy Bald Heads – First Born (Four Tet Remix) [unreleased]
8. Floating Points – Sais (Dub) [Eglo]
9. Apple – Mr Bean [Appsolute]
10. Manitoba (Caribou) – Webers [Leaf]
11. Big Bird – Flav (Urban Myths Remix) [Nice n Ripe]
12. Genius – Waiting [Kronik]
13. Four Tet – Fabric [unreleased]
14. David Borden – The Continuing Story Of Counterpoint, Part Nine [David Borden]
15. STL – Dark Energy [Something]
16. Percussions – Percussions One [unreleased]
17. C++ – Angie’s Fucked [Music For Freaks]
18. Burial – Street Halo [Hyperdub]
19. KMA – Cape Fear [KMA]
20. WK7 – Higher Power [Power House]
21. Ricardo Villalobos – Sieso [Cadenza]
22. Four Tet – Pyramid [Text]
23. Red Rack’em – How I Program [Bergerac]
24. Active Minds – Hobson’s Choice (Tune For Da Man Dem) [white]
25. Armando Gallop & Steve Poindexter – Blackholes [Muzique]
27. Four Tet – Locked [Text]