Tracks from Chicago and Detroit meet in our latest staff mix courtesy of Richard Brophy.
When Juno Plus asked me to do the latest instalment of the staff mix series, it felt natural to opt for a ‘Chicago vs Detroit’ theme. Music from both cities has constantly inspired me over the past 20 years and have fuelled my fascination with electronic music. Based on my tastes and record collection, I am sure there is also scope to do ‘Rotterdam vs Amsterdam’, ’Berlin vs London’, ’The Hague vs Rimini’ or even UK vs US electro mixes, but for whatever reason, the records from Chicago and Detroit resonate most deeply with me. They seem to have an intangible quality, an extra dimension and depth; like each artist’s personality and character is audible.
When I set about selecting records, the process was a random one. Most of the tracks are old, but this was not intentional, and merely reflects what I was feeling at the time when I decided on a tracklisting. That said, a lot of my favourite producers are present: UR, Gemini, Ron Trent, Omar-S, Juan Atkins, Terrence Dixon, Mike Huckaby, Jamal Moss and Kevin Saunderson, alongside some honorary Detroiters – Convextion is from Texas and Quadrant are Germans – and either lesser known or unsung artists like Common Factor, Wyndell Long and Specter. Trends and hype come and go, but both cities remain a constant and continue to represent some of the world’s best house and techno from newer artists like Fit Siegel, Innerspace Halflife, Patrice Scott and Jay Daniel.
It’s an all-vinyl mix and I recorded it at home using two very old Technics and an Allen & Heath Xone:22. As you might expect, there are one or two shaky moments, but it comes from the heart and I hope you all enjoy it.
1. Mike Huckaby – Wavetable No. 9 (Synth)
2. G Strings – Images (Seventh Sign Recordings)
3. Common Factor – In To (Planet E)
4. DJ Sneak – Play It Again (Cajual)
5. Octave One – Point Blank (Mix 1) (430 West)
6. The Sun God – Above the Clouds (Klang)
7. X-Ray – Let’s Go (Transmat)
8. Specter – Pipe Bomb (Sound Signature)
9. Wyndell Long – She Heard Me Cry (Peacefrog)
10. Gemini – Movement (NRK)
11. Omar-S – Frontwardsflip (FXHE)
12. DJ 78 – Sweet Muzik (Relief)
13. E-Dancer – The Human Bond (KMS)
14. Ron Trent & Chez Damier – Forever Monna (Balance)
15. Ron Trent – The Afterlife (Djax)
16. Keith Worthy – Rockit Science (Motor City Mayhem Mix) (Aesthetic Audio)
17. Quadrant – Infinition (Planet E)
18. Kevin Saunderson – Powerbass (Sonic Groove)
19 .Gene Hunt & Ron Hardy – Throwback 87 (Hour House Is Your Rush)
20. Farley Jackmaster Funk – Yes He Saved Me (Gene Hunt Remix) (Rush Hour)
21. Convextion – Ondes (Down Low)
22. Esser – Forces (Resse Remix) (KMS)
23. X-101 – Rave New World (Tresor)
24. Fast Eddie – Welcome 2 The Pleasuredome (Acid Drop Mixx) (Underground Construction)
25. Population One – All of a Sudden (Rush Hour)
26. Infiniti – Sunlight (Peacefrog)
27. Random Noise Generation – Falling in Dub (Hardcore Remix) (Outer Rhythm)
28. Galaxy 2 Galaxy – Journey of the Dragons (Underground Resistance)
Header image based around Population One album Theater Of A Confused Mind issued on Rush Hour Music.