MOTU 16A Thunderbolt & USB 2.0 Audio Interface
ParcelForce, FedEx, Royal Mail
Order by phone
The 16A is one of several new high-performance audio interfaces from MOTU that combine superb audio quality, large console style mixing, and state-of-the-art features
Sixteen balanced/unbalanced TRS analog inputs and outputs, plus 2 x 8-channel ADAT optical ports, deliver a total of 32 inputs and 32 outputs. Use the 16A for expanded analog I/O for your computer, or as a flexible, capable patchbay and mixer. Or both!
The 16A employs latest-generation ESS Sabre32 Ultra converters, known for their industry-leading performance, together with expertly engineered analog circuits that reflect more than three decades of pro audio engineering expertise. The result? The 16A achieves actual, measured performance of 123 dB dynamic range (A-weighted, 20 Hz to 20 kHz) on its balanced TRS analog outputs.
Every digital audio workflow has some latency. The only question is, how much? In the case of the 16A, the answer is, not much at all. In the 16A, latency is measured in a handful of samples, from the time an audio signal first goes digital to its arrival somewhere else (to an output, the mixer, or the computer). By keeping latency this low in the hardware, the 16A helps minimize latency introduced by your host software.
Thunderbolt lets you connect displays, hard drives, and other peripherals to your computer, along with the 16A, and the Thunderbolt bus won't even break a sweat. But more importantly, Thunderbolt gives you an astonishing 256 channels of computer I/O (128 in and out). You can use them to route audio to the physical inputs and outputs on the 16A, plus the 48-channel mixer inside the 16A, plus audio network streams. The 16A is the first and only interface to combine Thunderbolt I/O connectivity with AVB audio networking.
Don't have a Thunderbolt-equipped computer yet? Hi-speed USB 2.0 provides across-the-board compatibility with pretty much all laptops and desktops. The 16A is USB audio class compliant, which means you enjoy OS-level USB compatibility and support, including iPad support (with a camera connection kit). Since USB 2.0 devices are compatible with USB 3.0-equipped hosts, your 16A interface is a future-proof investment in your studio.
The 16A is equipped with a 48-channel digital mixer designed just like a large format mixing console. The 48 inputs can take signal from anywhere: the physical inputs on the 16A interface itself, audio channels from host software on your computer, audio network streams, or even mixer outputs. The mixer provides 7 stereo aux busses, 3 groups, a reverb bus that can alternately serve as a 4th group, a Main Mix bus and separate Monitor bus that can serve as a solo bus. In essence: capable and transparent mixing.
British analog mixing consoles are renowned for their musical EQ profiles. The 16A meticulously models these classic EQs to give you the very same, magical EQ response found on these coveted desks. Each input channel also provides a classic compressor module with optional peak/RMS operation. Groups and the Main Mix bus are equipped with MOTU's Leveler™, an accurate model of the legendary Teletronix™ LA-2A™ optical leveling amplifier, known for its unique and highly sought-after Automatic Gain Control (AGC) characteristics.
With one click on the 16A's routing grid, you can route any source signal to any destination. Sources can be analog or digital inputs on the interface, computer channels, mixer bus outputs, or audio network streams from other devices on the network. Destinations include interface outputs, host software inputs, mixer inputs, or any other device (or computer) on the AVB network. You can even split any single input (or stereo pair) to unlimited multiple output destinations.
The 16A network port introduces AVB Ethernet, the new industry standard developed by the IEEE for professional audio networking. Add a second MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e or CAT-6 ethernet cable.
The software that you can use to control the 16A doesn't reside on your hard drive. It's a web app served from the hardware itself. This means you can control the 16A's on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from the web app software running in your favourite web browser on a laptop tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network. Use any web client on any platform - Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android - as long as it shared the same network.
Connect an Apple Airport or other Wi-Fi router directly to the 16A with a standard Ethernet cable and control the 16A's powerful mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live sound mixing!
- Balanced TRS analog outputs produce 123 dB dynamic range and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.
- Sixteen balanced/unbalanced TRS analog inputs and outputs, plus 2 x 8-channel ADAT optical ports for 32 inputs and 32 outputs
- Connects to your computer with Thunderbolt or high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0). Class-compliant firmware and Industry standard drivers work with any audio software
- Flexible 48-input digital mixer modeled after large format mixing consoles, with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb, 4-band EQ, gate, and compression
- The 16A''s mixing and effects DSP engine delivers virtually unlimited headroom and the utmost in sound quality.
- Classic reverb. Compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A compressor. EQ modeled after British analog console EQs
- Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately)
- Flexible, matrix-style audio routing and splitting for any analog or digital input, computer channel or network stream to any other output, computer, or network device. Split any single input to unlimited multiple output destinations
- Record and monitor up to 128 networked audio channels in and out, simultaneously, through the Thunderbolt connection to a host computer
- Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network
- Connect an Apple Airport or other Wi-Fi router directly to the 16A with a standard Ethernet cable and control the 16A''s powerful mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live sound mixing
- Connect outboard digital processors, digital mixers or other gear. 16 channels at 44.1/48 kHz or 8 channels at 88.2/96 kHz
|Max Bit Rate (bit)||24|
|Max Sample Rate (KHz)||44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz|
|Inputs||1/4" jack, optical|
|Outputs||1/4" jack, optical, word clock|
|Power Supply||Mains Adapter|
|System Requirements (PC)||Windows 8 or later|
|System Requirements (Mac)||Mac OS X 10.8 or later|
If you decide an equipment item is not suitable within 10 days of delivery, you can return it to us for a replacement or refund. Returns must be unused and in their original, undamaged packaging.
Gifts purchased between 30 November and 24 December may be returned by Friday 6 January 2016”.
Some items are excluded from our money back guarantee, including:
• Computer software that has been unsealed or registered
• Any item that comes directly into contact with the nose, ears or mouth
To arrange a return, just contact our customer service department on 020 7424 2800 or email us at email@example.com
BEST MUSIC STORE: 5 TIME WINNERS